Reporting Obligations


Faculty and staff at UCR who receive certain types of information are required to share that information with other offices or entities, either by referring the matter, notifying the other office, or by making their own report.  This chart summarizes various reporting obligations, which arise under federal or state law or UC or campus policy.

Your Position & Matter Reported

Required Action

If (1) you are a manager, supervisor, faculty, UCRPD officer, or HR or AP administrator, and (2) you learn that anyone affiliated with UCR may have experienced conduct prohibited by the UC Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment (SVSH Policy) or the UC Anti-Discrimination Policy,

then (3) you must promptly contact UCR’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR).  Filing a report online is encouraged.


(1) Unless you are a Confidential Resource, if (2) you learn that a student may have experienced Prohibited Conduct under the SVSH Policy,

then (3) you are required to promptly notify the Title IX Officer. Please complete the online report form or email

If (1) you are a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and (2) you become aware of a report or allegation that a Clery Act crime is alleged to have occurred on UCR’s Clery Act geography,

then (3) you are required to notify UCRPD or the Clery Act Coordinator.  See UCR's Clery Act web page for further guidance.   


If (1) you are a Mandated Reporter under CANRA and (2) you become aware of actual, reported or suspected child abuse or neglect occurring on UCR’s campus or at an official UCR activity or program,

then (3) you are required to (a) make a verbal external report to any of the following: local law enforcement, child protective services, or county welfare departments; (b) no later than 36 hours after the verbal report, fill-out Form SS 8572 and submit it to the agency with whom a verbal report was made; and (c) make an internal* report (may be anonymous) to a supervisor or through the University Compliance Hotline at (800) 403-4744 or (See UCR CANRA Reporting Requirements for more details)

If you receive or are aware of (1) violence in the workplace,

Then (2) report to the next-in-line supervisor or to an academic administrator.  See Section V of the Violence Prevention in the UCR Community policy.

If (1) you are a supervisor and/or department management and (2) you become aware of a serious injury (amputation, concussion, fracture, injury with significant bleeding, severe burn, and/or any injury requiring overnight hospitalization),

Then (3) you must (a) immediately get first aid and call 911; (b) report the incident using the Report and Incident, Injury, or Safety Concern form; and (c) report and provide details of the serious injury to EH&S within 24 hours at (951) 827-5528 during business hours or (951) 827-5222, if after hours.

If (1) you receive a report or information that alleges an Improper Governmental Activity (IGA),


Then (2) you must elevate it to the LDO if: 

        • The reported IGA results from a significant internal control or policy weakness likely to exist elsewhere on campus or in the system
        • Media or public attention is likely
        • The matter involves misuse of UC resources
        • There is potentially significant liability
        • There is a significant possibility of a criminal act (such as disappearance of cash)
        • There is a significant threat to the health and safety of employee or the public. 

When in doubt, refer the matter to the LDO so that it can be assessed.